- Students should consult with their counselor PRIOR to registering for Summer School.
- Complete the High School Summer School Registration Form. Make sure to list the course name and number.
- Obtain school counselor signature on registration form.
- Obtain parent/guardian signature the registration form.
- Turn the Registration Form WITH BOTH SIGNATURES in to the Counseling Office (Room 2003) or the Ash Office (Room 2037).
- Students and parents/guardians will NOT be notified or called to confirm course selection. However, please check the Infinite Campus Parent Portal to confirm the student's enrollment for summer school. The Parent Portal will be updated regularly. The summer school office will contact students and parents/guardians only if there is a scheduling conflict.
The following provides the type of credit offered for summer school courses:
Credit Recovery - Retake courses previously failed in order to recover the credits required for graduation in the areas of English, Math, Social Studies, Science, Health and Physical Education.
Credit Replacement - Replace a course previously taken in the core areas of English, Math, Social Studies, Science, Health and Physical Education.
First Time Credit - Only the classes listed below are allowed for first time credit. Enrollment is limited and a lottery or other similar system will be used if registration exceeds capacity. The deadline to be considered for the lottery is Friday, May 12th. All enrollment after the lottery deadline is based on a first come, first served basis. These courses may ONLY be taken one time during your high school career.
- First time Phy Ed - incoming 9th grade (8th grade as of the end of 2017-2018 school year)
- First time Health - 10th, 11th and 12th grades
- ESL Literacy Skills
- Personal Finance - 11th and 12th grades
Experiential Learning - It is possible to earn elective credit towards graduation through successful part time volunteering or "work experience." Please see the Experiential Learning Credit section on page 8 of the course catalog or see a school counselor for more information.
Summer School will meet Monday-Friday June 18th-July 27th (no school on 7/4). Students can take up to two classes. Classes are offered 8:00-9:55am and 10:05am-12:00pm. Students may be assigned either section (time slot), depending on availability. This may be done when enrollment in sections is out of balance or a section is closed or dropped. In addition to two classes, qualifying students can earn elective credit towards graduation through successful part time work or volunteer experience. More information regarding Experiential Learning can be located on page 8 of the course catalog. Students should contact their counselor to discuss this additional option.
Since summer school courses are 18-week courses condensed into 6 weeks, one day of absence is equivalent to 3 days during the regular school year. In addition students are expected to not be late for class due to loss of instructional time. Summer school has a 5 day absence limit (excused and/or unexcused). Students who exceed this limit will be dropped from the class.
Students who reside in the MMSD attendance area DO NOT need to pay tuition. Students who reside outside of the MMSD attendance area will be charged tuition of $499 per class. Several area districts will pay tuition for approved courses. Non-MMSD resident students should see their counselor and MUST obtain approval from their principal or they will be responsible for out of district tuition. All out of district students will be responsible for fees. All questions regarding fees or tuition can be directed to the summer school site principal. *Please submit fee of check or money order, no cash, for the correct amount to cover fees. Make checks payable to “MMSD, Summer School 2018.”
West High School Summer School Office
Room 2037 (Ash Office)
Hours: 7:45am-12:30pm during Summer School (Mon-Fri 6/18-7/27, no school on 7/4)
Secretary Janelle Van Erem - 608-204-4116
Principal Melanie Thiel - 608-204-4117
Principal Mitch McGrath - 608-204-3090