Student Digital Planner (make a copy to organize your week!)
Turn on your Chromebook and open up each of your class’s Google classrooms. View the days video announcement. Complete any work left over from the previous day. Make a plan for what you will accomplish for the day.
When you can see your schedule in IC (remember, schedules will be released on August 24), you will want to look and see which classes are listed at each hour. You will attend your classes for “synchronous” learning with your teacher and classmates via zoom as follows:
1st hour: Mondays & Thursdays from 8:30-9:30
2nd hour: Mondays & Thursdays from 10:30-11:30
3rd hour: Tuesdays & Fridays from 8:30-9:30
4th hour: Tuesdays & Fridays from 10:30-11:30
6th hour: Mondays & Thursdays from 1:00-2:00
7th hour: Tuesdays & Fridays from 1:00-2:00
8th hour: Tuesdays & Fridays from 2:30-3:30
Student Support Time
Need a topic re-explained or have a question that you didn’t want to ask in class? Then virtual office hours is your time to connect with your teacher in small groups or individually, via zoom or by phone/ email. Your teacher will be getting you more information about their specific office hours and how to best reach them. Students who were most successful during the spring closure and during summer school connected regularly with their teachers during office hours. Be one of those students!
Move around, get outside. Eat healthy foods. Rehydrate! Virtual club meetings may also be happening during this time.
Each student will have a staff member assigned as your Virtual Mentor. In most cases, your Virtual Mentor will be someone who is also one of your teachers. They will show up on your schedule in IC in the “ACT” line. Your mentor can work with you around a range of things that could be going on in your life: getting organized, completing assignments, dealing with life stresses, and helping you get the support you need from others. During the Virtual Mentor Meetings in the schedule you can ask to meet with your mentor and they will be setting up time to meet with you. We truly are better together.
Independent Learning Day (Wednesdays)
On Wednesdays you will not have any class meetings, and teachers will be working together to plan upcoming virtual activities. Be sure to connect with your teacher (or mentor!) if you have questions or need help figuring out how to focus your time on Wednesday.
If you are missing any textbooks/materials from 1st Quarter or 2nd Quarter, you can pick them up on Wednesdays from 9-3 at the Van Hise Gym entrance from the parking lot. You do not need to request materials ahead of time - just show up!
School Photos/School IDs
At this time, there is no date for school photos. When we are ready to return to face-to-face instruction (f2f), we’ll provide more information. School IDs are not necessary for virtual instruction, but sometimes prove useful for other reasons (employment, as a photo ID for banking, etc.). If you need your school ID, contact your SLC secretary to arrange pick-up.
If West students need tech help, need internet access or are having a Chromebook problem, they should fill out this form.
Virtual Tour of West
Virtual Tour of West HS, where you will find links to staff pages, student expectations, extra curricular opportunities, and more.
Library Book Checkout
- Library Book Requests & Pick-ups! NEW: Check out the new website for all of the library book options you have between our school and public libraries! If you would like to borrow books from our West High School Library (not textbooks or books from your teacher), sign into Follett Destiny in ClassLink to make your requests. Here is a 2-minute video (versión española) and handout (versión española) explaining the process. Bonus: You also could request a surprise bag of 3 books chosen by the librarian if you don't know what you're looking for. Here are the logistics:
- Make your requests by Monday afternoon each week.
- Library staff will send you an email to confirm pick-up instructions on Tuesday.
- UPDATED: Pick up your items at the Van Hise Gym doors (#8) that face the parking lot off of Van Hise Ave on Wednesdays between 9am and 3pm. There will be a greeter at the door, give your name, and they will give you your requested items.
- You may check out 7 books at a time. There will be a book return bin in the same location for books that you are finished with.