Skip To Main Content

Select a School

Madison Metropolitan School District

Work Permits

Students, please go to your SLC office to obtain a work permit. 16 and 17 year olds do NOT have to obtain a work permit prior to beginning work. Minors younger than 16 will need to obtain a work permit prior to beginning work. Please note that students will need to bring the following items:

  • An ID issued by the state (birth certificate, baptismal certificate, driver’s license, state ID or previous child labor permit)
  • A letter from the employer saying he/she has hired you and lists the nature of the business, your job duties, hours of work, and time of day you will work
  • A letter from parent/guardian giving student permission to accept the job (this may be a parent note or signature on the employer’s letter)
  • A Social Security card, or verification of number with insurance or tax form
  • $10

Visit the Department of Workforce Development site for more info.